Sunday, March 17, 2013

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels


I live in upstate NY the Albany area. There are a lot of good organizations that are focused on advocating for the rights of children.  Ideally I would like to work in advocacy and public policy since that is my field of study, but I am aware that those jobs are scarce in my area.  One organization that I am very interested in is the Capital District Child Coordinating Council (CDCCC).  They are constantly improving the lives of children, and working towards enhancing the field.  Jobs with this organization do not come about that often so I am constantly looking to see what they have to offer. I would personally take any job that I could qualify for with the CDCCC because they do so much for our community.  Right now they are looking for someone to run their Farm to Preschool Program.  This is a pilot program that is working towards increasing access to affordable and fresh produce. This is something that appeals to me because when I was a preschool teacher one of the things I implemented in our daycare was planting a garden in our play yard. This was a great learning experience for our class and they were able to see from spring till almost fall how fruits and vegetables grew, and how to prepare them into healthy meals.  I think this is a great program that the CDCCC is starting, and I hope to see it last beyond the 6 month pilot. Childhood obesity is a major issue, and they are trying to fight it by introducing healthy food to children who are not getting the proper nutrition.

In order to fulfill this job they are looking for someone with a background in education and nutrition. I have a background in education and I am hoping that my experience will help me in getting an interview for this job.


 

Another organization that in my area that appeals to me is the Schuyler Center (SCAA). I like this organization because they are focused on public policy.  They focus on advocating for a healthy beginnings for all children, regardless of their income.   Having healthy children is important, and this organization is at the forefront of improving health and nutrition for children.  They are currently not hiring, but you can volunteer. I would love to get involved with this organization, and would be interesting in volunteering for the SCAA.

http://www.scaany.org/policy/agenda.php

The last organization in my area that I am really interested in is the Winning Beginnings.  The Winning Beginnings is very involved in public policy and advocacy in our community. One of their main interest right now is raising awareness about quality early childhood education. They have started up a new program which is a quality rating system for childcare centers NY. It is called Quality Stars NY. This is a really great program for childcare providers to be a part of.  When working with Quality Stars NY they will help you improve the standards  and quality of your center.  Currently they do not have any job openings, but they are always looking for individuals to get involved and join their advocacy campaign. 

http://www.winningbeginningny.org/

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your community of practice as they relate to the field of early childhood. Considering they do not have any job opening, maybe you can volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anna,
    I am glad that you mentioned these organizations like Schuyler Center (SCAA) and Winning Beginnings because they are organizations that will help child care providers and parents to access standard and quality care for their children as well as help the early childhood community have access to public policy. Thanks for sharing.


    ReplyDelete